Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Last Heartworks Meeting Before Summer

We have our last Heartworks meeting until September tonight and I can't wait for the work we will be doing tonight. We have at least 10 families who are struggling with medical issues that we are reaching out to and today I am going to practice staying focused on balance. Balance of knowing how good my life is and also reaching out to people who are in crisis. My prayers are about staying calm and not get too overwhelmed by the meeting, but to focus on my family and take the day as it comes.

18 months ago little Campbell who is 5 and lives on my street was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Last week her mom and dad took her to a check up appointment in Boston. They were going to the same hospital as Charlie, on the same day, so she brought a gift bag from me to Amy and hand delivered it. While Charlie is home recovering, Campbell is unexpectedly having another surgery, back in Boston, next week to remove a new tumor at the base of her spine. We will make prayer ribbons for her tonight at the meeting for everyone to take home with them. One of the core understandings of Heartworks is that any of us, on any given day can be coasting along and without any warning life as we know it can be over. I encourage the people in my life to really understand how quickly things can change and to participate, the best we can in whatever phase we find oursleves in.

There is a temptation this morning for me to get overwhelmed with the amount of families, just within my small circle, that are facing serious, serious issues in their lives. Friends who's parents have died this month, two friends with children with tumors, too many friends to count who love someone living with cancer. There are women that say to me "I can't come to another Heartworks meeting, the stories are just too sad." My response is something to the effect that these life stories are happening everyday around the world, on our own street, whether we pay attention to them or not. I want to pay attention. People payed attention to my family in September 2001 even though they themselves were afraid, unsure and paralyzed. Paying attention to illness and death is exactly what gives me the gift of understanding an "ordinary day." I pray every single day to be able to see and live in the gifts I have like health, more time with my family, a roof over my head and food for my kids. All the rest is gravy. It really is. And I know this and so I teach it to others in hope that they can be transformed by the idea of paying attention and taking action rather than just saying "its just to sad."

We are expecting 40-50 women to come to the meeting tonight. That is an opportunity for a lot of transformation. I am humbled. I am grateful. I am blessed. I hope that every womam who needs to to be there finds a way to get there, even with all the end of the year parties, soccer games and dance recitals...balance, balance, balance.

If I focus to much on the devestation in the world it will paralyze me and I am no good to anyone. So I have to balance...wake each of my girls up slowly and intentionally...being ever so grateful for another day with them. Take the planning for the meeting tonight one step at a time and trust that God is awake and aware and taking care of things, I just need to do my part. I know that Heartworks changes the  lives of those recieving from us as well as the women coming to the meetings. Sometimes this responsibility seems too big for me. To be the mom, wife, daughter and friend I want to be and then also do what needs to be done for Heartworks. But there are other women who have been transformed by the Heartworks concepts and so I am not alone in organizing the meetings or following through on the opportunities we have. The Advisory Board is my saving grace. The women who call and say "I can help with this" after reading an email about a family who needs air conditioners so their daughter can breath easier this summer, more saving grace. My husband Eddie, who tells me everyday how important the work is that we are doing, when a huge part of me feels like I should be folding laundry and cleaning the family room ...more and more saving grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment