Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Thank You Thank You Thank You

I don't know why I haven't written in a week or so...last week was such an amazing week. I attended two Heartworks meetings, one in Long Valley, NJ and then myself and two other Heartworkers, Holly and Marianne drove up to Barrington, Rhode Island to facilitate Amy's group and see Charlie during his second week of treatments. By the way, he is running around like a mad man and spends more time in hockey and lacrosse gear than any boy I have ever met. While Amy is taking care of Charlie and his brothers, her friends are going to step up and run Heartworks until she feels ready to step back into her role as leader. Amy started her group 4 years ago and it was an incredible experience to witness the 37 women who showed up for the meeting- their love for Amy's familiy was almost palpable and for as much as I say I don't get nervous leading meetings, I was nervous for this one. To guide this group of women through the process of what it means to be in Heartworks, just felt so urgent now, given that Amy is actually living through a child undergoing radiation and chemotherapy. The most amazing part of the night was that by the time we lit the prayer candles, not even half way through the meeting, I felt as if I had known this circle of women my entire life. This is what happens when the walls are knocked down and women get real with themsleves and each other. We stayed until 1:00 in the morning and I got to hear Amy's laugh and when I asked her if there was any part of the meeting she wanted to participate in or lead, she said "The gratitude exercise". And so there she was, a mother living out her worst nightmare... leading a mantra of  "THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU" - words can not express the feeling in that room.
Inbetween these two meetings we sent our friend Katie Meyler back to Liberia to put 100 more girls in school thanks to her fundraising efforts while she was home. Monday night my girls and I spent time with my neighbor's, the Hoyt family, selling lemonade to raise money for pediatric cancer research. They held this lemonade stand on the night bofore they left for Boston for 5 year old Campbell to start 6 months of treatment there for the tumor in her brain. I also took my girls to the pool, had a date with my husband, hung out with my mom and sisters and friends. It was a full week...full of challenges, love, inspiration, fear, faith and hope. I am leaving in the morning to go back to see Chalie again and I know I am blessed to have access to such love in my life. My life is full and I am grateful. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment